Saturday, March 29, 2014

Prime Rib Eye - Prime Time

As I've mentioned previously, the Year of Meat is affording me the opportunity to cook cuts of meat I had not previously attempted.  I'm now only 16 in to my 59 strong list, and I would guess that at least half of them represent cuts I'd never previously cooked.  I had my standard repertoire, which in my mind wasn't small, but it was obviously far smaller than the full display case of Paulina Market.  So, here I am three months into this quest and I'm finding myself facing the realization that I don't understand the difference between a Rib Eye and a Prime Rib Eye.  I understand Bone-In Rib Eye, thank you very much, and I know what Prime Rib is.  I've ordered Rib Eye in restaurants dozens of times.  And to me, it was about Bone-In vs. Not.  Last night, I learned a valuable lesson in the inclusion of the word "Prime".

I have never been, nor do I believe I ever will be, a fan of government.  But someone over at the USDA knows how to rate meat.  And they gave the word "Prime" to my dinner last night, and they were right!  Now, just a few short weeks ago, I cooked Rib Eyes (sans Prime) that I had marinated in a EVOO/Cajun seasoning combination.  Delicious.  Last night?  What did I use?  Yep, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.  That's it!  No cajun, no sage, no rosemary, no garlic, no EVOO, nothing aside from kosher salt and cracked pepper.  Now, the irony here, and this shows my relative intermediate status here, I ACTUALLY USED A RECIPE TO FIGURE THAT OUT!  But hey, give me some credit here, part of the recipe was the side salad that went with the Prime Rib Eye steaks.  And I nailed that.  Let's talk about my concoction.

First, the recipe.  Got to hand it to Michael Symon's book Carnivore yet again.  His recipe found here  was followed to a T.  As mentioned previously, take those steaks out an hour before grilling time (during which the Big Green Egg was getting fired up and good and hot), and season both sides with fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt and let them sit the hour.  That's right.  Now, during this Year of Meat, I'm going to discuss my side salad.  That's how easy the grilling of these Prime Rib Eyes were.  You need Water Cress (have fun finding THAT in the produce secion), Radishes, Shallot, Champagne Vinegar (yet another lengthy ordeal to several groceries), Blue Cheese (delicious), Dijon Mustard, Honey, Salt  and Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO).  Everything but the Blue Chees, Water Cress and Radishes comprise the dressing.  Keep the dressing off until time to serve the meat.

4.5 minutes per side on the red hot Big Green Egg.  That gave me the Medium Rare (maybe Medium Rare plus) steaks I love.  Let them sit under tin foil for 10 minutes.  Gave me time to mix the dressing onto the salad.  My wife was putting together Crispy Potatoes (the Julia Child version), and we timed it all perfectly.  See picture!!!



What's the difference between Choice and Prime?  When both are cooked perfectly and seasoned well, it's a minor difference.  But you ARE talking about a difference.  When it comes to the quality of both of these cuts at Paulina, it's a bit like asking "How does the best steak of your life compared to the 9th best?".  Both are outrageously delicious.  BUT!...you remember the best of your life.  And that's how I'd explain the difference.

16 Down, 43 to Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment