Saturday, February 8, 2014

Skirt Steak - Orange Beef and the Mandarin Mission

I think I mentioned previously that I have a rather insane love of good, high quality Chinese food.  And because of that love, and the increasing lack of quality establishments that satisfy that craving, I purchased and have successfully replicated some of my favorite dishes.  Now, for this rendition of the Paulina quest, I made Orange Beef.  Now, I've made it before, truth be told.  But I chose to use Skirt Steak this time, which is different than my past attempts.  And I must say, it was an excellent choice.  Stir Fry is sort of a quick searing process, and Skirt Steak (being ultra thin and quick to reach Medium Rare status) was the perfect accompaniment.  More on the recipe later.

Having made the comment before (and again above) that there is a shortage of quality Chinese Restaurants, I thought I would list some of my all-time favorites, none of them still in existence, all of them leaving behind a set of memories and cravings never satisfied by the remaining competition.  Hence, my purchase of the Quick & Easy Chinese cookbook, and my ongoing use of it.  As I list these wonderful places of old, I hope some Chicagoans point me in the right direction for a present tense find or two.


  • China Bell, VFW Parkway, Boston, MA (where I learned of the wonders of the Egg Roll)
  • Hunan Pagoda, same location as above, yet still gone (where Bowling meant Scorpion Bowling, not 10 pin Bowling)
  • Ho Sai Gai, Brookline, MA (where King Family Christmas Eves were celebrated, and where I ate more Sweet & Sour Chicken than any human being ought to ever attempt)
  • China Sails, Rte 9, Boton, MA (where General Gao taught me the wonders of ginger)
  • Dragon City, near Boston College (anything and everything deep fried)
  • Ming Garden, same location a China Sails (where I sincerely believe that my involvement in their all-you-can-eat-buffet may have put them out of business)
  • Shanghai Minnies, Broadway and Surf, Chicago, IL (my first Chicago Chinese food find)
  • Mars, Broadway and Briar, Chicago, IL (Moo Shoo Chicken, nuff said)
  • China Lite, Southport and Newport, Chicago, IL (Orange Chicken, Black Bean Chicken....man, I miss that place)
  • For all the above, RIP...and someone please send me a new find!!!
OK.  Now, in the absence of these establishments, I now cook it.  So, let's talk Skirt Steak.  Paulina's skirt steak is wonderful.  I've used it for Chinese, Mexican (fajitas), Maple/Chipotle Marinades (yum) and a simple teriyaki/lime.  But let's talk Orange Beef.

Marinade the sliced steak (be sure to cut slices against the grain, very important!) in soy sauce.  While marinating, mix together in a separate bowl the zest of an orange, some fresh garlic, fresh ginger and red chili flakes.  In yet another bowl, mix together some salt, sugar, rice wine, dark soy sauce (different than regular), orange juice and corn starch.  Start a wok with some vegetable oil and the steak, add in the zest mixture, add in the orange juice mixture, toss in some green onion and a couple of drops of sesame oil, and you are good to go.  Throw it on a bed of steamed jasmine rice, and you are brought back to Ming Garden (or any of the above, or those in your RIP list).

7 down, 50 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment