Monday, August 4, 2014

Beef Shanks - A Tropical Treat

Like so many cuts of meat that have come before, bone-in Beef Shanks were a new one for me.  And these, also like many cuts that have come before, are best slow cooked.  So, slow cooked I did.  First, I had to start with the shanks themselves.  At Paulina, these come in the 2 inch thick variety.  But my goal was to get some about half that thickness.  So, my friends at Paulina cut them in half for me (though the bone and all) and gave me 4 1-inch thick shanks.

Lightly seasoned with salt and pepper, I browned them in peanut oil for about 3 minutes per side.  After transporting them to the slow cooker awaiting the rest of the "stuff", I cooked up some carrots and onions in the same pan for about 6 minutes, added crushed garlic, star anise and bay leaves and cooked for another minute, and then added rice vinegar and soy sauce.  I transported all this on top of the shanks and set it on low for 8 hours.

Suddenly, 8 hours later, with smells throughout the house, I transported the shanks to a plate (meat falling and shredding off the bone).  I then strained the braising liquid, skimmed the fat and boiled the braising liquid until it was reduced in half.  I shredded the meat and mashed the solids (carrots, garlic, etc.) and put them it in a serving dish, and poured in the reduced braising liquid.  Served it with romaine lettuce leaves, mango salsa and fresh green onion.  Yummy, slow cooked deliciousness, tropical style.

47 down, 14 to go!




No comments:

Post a Comment