Thursday, January 9, 2014

Ground Chuck - Lobbing Meatballs

I am not one of those guys that necessarily comes out of the gate strong.  I tend to hold back a bit, survey the landscape, maybe dip the toe in the water, and amp things up when appropriate.  To embark upon this monumental task of cooking everything in Paulina's main display case in 2014 is daunting enough.  To come out of the gate with a Bottom Round or Sliced Liver, now that's just crazy talk.  Like the Boston Red Sox bullpen of the early 80's, I figured I'd come out and lob a meatball, literally (not the lobbing part).

I am lucky enough to have had four amazing grandparents.  And even luckier to have one still with me today.  My Grandma in the little town of Adams, MA is an inspiration to say the least.  She is 96 years old, and still cooks all-out, hold onto your pants buckles Italian feasts!  I mean, crazy amounts of food with ridiculous deliciousness.  I can honestly say that I have never had better spaghetti and meatballs in my life.  My late Grandfather used to make homemade sausage that accompanied said meatballs.  But I was too late to learn "how to make a sausage" from him.  My loss, to be sure.  But about 3 or 4 years ago, I placed a strategic call to my Grandma, and stayed on the phone with her for an hour or so, to understand what she did to make homemade red sauce and homemade meatballs.  Like a stereotype, she of course measured NOTHING!  So, my notes were filled with "lots of this", and "not as much of that" and "taste it, and add more if it needs it" and stuff like that.  The analyst in me then took over.  I went to the web to find other recipes that at least used the majority of those ingredients.  I found no silver bullets, but I found enough direction between her notes and recipes online to start the trial and error.  About five attempts in, I believe I have "mastered" her red sauce.  Only about three attempts in, I mastered the meatball.  And man, am I happy I placed that call.  We bonded, laughed and really enjoyed the conversation as I tried to document her approach.  And I now have a family legacy from Montescaglioso, Italy.  Now, that's cool!

To enjoy, I relied upon my lovely wife (who is perhaps the quintessential expert in all things spaghetti & meatballs) to enjoy Meal #1 of the quest.  And I invited a long time friend, and 12 year veteran of Day of Meat over for dinner.  Paulina's Ground Chuck, combined with salt, pepper, egg, bread crumbs and secret combinations of cheeses and seasonings.  A little browning, a little baking and little combining with the aforementioned homemade sauce, and you got my Grandma's spaghetti & meatballs.

Phew!  One down, 56 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment