Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Table Setting for a Year of Meat

There is a long history between meat and me.  It's not a love hate story.  It is a love story.  You see, I love meat.  I love it so much that in 2002, I hosted a party called Day of Meat.  I established ground rules.  All day, from midnight to midnight, you could only eat meat.  I figured that there are many religious occasions where people abstain from meat.  I thought there was just cause to have a day where you must abstain from all foods except meat.  I hazed individuals that broke the rule, showing up with pretzels and brownies.  Nonsensical to bring those sorts of things to a Day of Meat.  There were less than 20 attendees.  We cooked an average of roughly 2 lbs of meat per person that year, which I believe is still a record.  And it was all consumed (along with many an adult beverage to wash it down).

This past August, we celebrated the 12th Annual Day of Meat.  There have been many attendees of Day of Meat.  Many repeat attendees and a few one-timers.  But it always pleases, and never disappoints.

Throughout these twelve years, I have had a close ally.  An ally that is not only there for the day itself, but an ally that is there with me all year long.  An ally that arms me with the ultimate need when testing, tasting and preparing all year for this penultimate day.  That ally is Paulina Meat Market, on the corner of Lincoln and Cornelia, in Chicago, IL.  It is a mecca of meat.  I refer to my trips to Paulina like going to Disney World.  I am full of wonder and awe.  The child in me always says, "Mom, Dad, can I have that?" referencing something in addition to what I went there to buy.  And the great thing about being an adult with a zero balance credit card, I can always say "Yes".  And "Yes" is always the answer.

In 2013, I bought a new toy, The Big Green Egg.  For those of you who don't know what it is, if you like meat, and aren't afraid to cook it, just buy one.  I smoke, sear, slow roast, grill and cook pizzas on it.  If there is an obsession I have (can you sense it?), it is with figuring out new and innovative ways to have the Big Green Egg cook me another meal.  It upped the ante.  Day of Meat 2013 became legendary with its inclusion.  An all-day slow roasted pork shoulder and some homemade spicy Carolina BBQ sauce added to the already full slate of brisket, bacon-wrapped weenies, teriyaki chicken, Italian sausage, meatballs, maple chipotle marinated skirt steak, etc., made the 2013 Day of Meat the most memorable.  And that, my friends, is saying a lot.

So fast forward to December 2013.  I discussed it.  I joked about it.  I started spreading the word about it.  Yep, my 2014 goal as it related to my old friend meat, my long-time ally Paulina and my newest obsession, The Big Green Egg.  I am committed to it.  I am now ready.  In the last week of December, I visited Paulina and took pictures of everything in the "main display case".  I had to cut off the madness somewhere.  Yep.  This is my goal.  My 2014 dream.  To cook and eat every single cut in the main display case of Paulina Market.  What is in there?  Funny you should ask.  57 cuts.  57.  That is more than one per week.  And yes, with it being January 8th already, you could argue I am behind schedule.  I won't cook everything in the Big Green Egg, but I will surely maximize its use, particularly when it gets out from all the snow we have (April, maybe?).

My hope is to blog about each one.  And provide some suggestions along the way.  Well, I have 56 to go (more on that later).  This is the introduction.  The opening salvo.  Wish me luck, and I hope you enjoy the ride.  Oh, and most important, here is the list:

Paulina Main Display Case Meat List:
BEEF:
New York Strip Steak
Boneless Top Sirloin Steak
Ribeye Steak
Sirloin Steak
T-Bone/Porterhouse Steak
Tenderloin/Filet Steak
Flat Iron Steak
Tomahawk Steak
Bone-In New York Strip Steak
Bone-In Rib Eye Steak
Prime Rib Eye
Prime New York Strip Steak
London Broil
Flank Steak
Round Steak
Ground Chuck
Beef Stew (just meat)
Honeymoon Potroast
Boston Rolled
Roundbone Potroast
Blade Potroast
Sliced Liver
Brisket
Sirloin Tip Roast
Bottom Round
Eye of Round
Rump Roast
Rib Roast
Oxtails
Short Ribs
Shank with Bone
Cubed Steak
Hanger Steak
VEAL:
Rolled Roast
Osso Bucco
Boneless
Chops
Ground Veal
Veal Stew (just meat)
LAMB:
Loin Chops
Shoulder (Blade Bone)
Shoulder (Round Bone)
Ground Lamb
Rosettes
Lamb Stew (meat only)
Leg with Bone
PORK:
Tenderloin
Center Cut Chops
Butterflied Chops
Pork Chop Suey (just meat)
Ground Pork
Pork Stew (just meat)
Loin Rolled (Boneless)
Baby Back Ribs
Shoulder
Shanks
Center Cut Pork Roast

1 comment:

  1. Wow, impressive! I didn't realize there were that many varieties of meat.

    ReplyDelete