Monday, March 24, 2014

Boneless Rolled Pork Loin - Bacon Wrapped Pork

Bacon gets a lot of attention.  Deservedly so.  It makes everything better.  But when you take something that is overwhelmingly awesome like a Pork Loin Roast, and wrap it in bacon and roast it, then you obtain a level of greatness rarely reached by a novice cook like myself.  At Day of Meat the past few years, I made it a point to wrap some things in bacon.  A personal favorite from last year were Bacon Wrapped Weenies (coated in a chili powder/brown sugar mix).  And for the many lovers of bacon who attend, I also throw in a little Bacon Wrapped Bacon.  Just take some Canadian Bacon, wrap it in American Bacon, and dip it into the chili powder/brown sugar mix and bake it.  I don't like to cast compliments to myself regularly, trying to retain some humility.  But wrapping Bacon in Bacon is one of the best examples of genius behavior I have ever encountered.  There!  I said it!

Well, clearly smart minds think alike.  Giada De Laurentiis, famed chef from the Food Network, published the Pork Loin Roast I made yesterday.  Check it out here.  I got a beautiful 3.5 lb roast from Paulina, coated in a mixture of honey, dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, garlic and rosemary.  I then layered strips of bacon on it, wrapped it in kitchen twine, and roasted it for one hour, put some foil on it, and brought it to temperature.  I aimed for 135 degrees at the thickest part.

I served it over a bed of arugula (per Giada's instructions) with a homemade dressing of fresh squeezed lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper.  The recipe had simplicity, great flavor combinations and bacon.  Love is also a strong word.  Not one to throw around carelessly.  I loved it!

15 down, 44 to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment