Friday, March 14, 2014

Rack of Lamb - Bad Math and a Little Lamb

Well, it was bound to happen.  Ten meals into this endeavor, and my denominator has changed.  For the past two months, I was under the impression that there were 57 cuts of meat on my list.  In I went to Paulina, on the quest to pick up a Rack of Lamb, and cook yet another Michael Symon recipe for oven roasted Rack of Lamb.  I did it.  It was delicious, served with Mashed Sweet Potatoes.  But as I opened my computer to write about it (just now), I discover that Rack of Lamb was not on my original list.  I'm not really sure how this happened.  But as it turns out, I achieved progress by cooking my 11th dish of the year.  However, I did not make a dent this time in my remaining list.  As I'll state later, I am now 11 down, 47 to go.  Oh well.  It's a quest I will achieve, and now it just means one extra meal to cook.  I'm not worried.

Let's talk about the rack of lamb.  Last week, my wife and I spent a week in Vail with some good friends.  We dined out. We dined in.  One of our friends who joined us loves to cook, and inevitably the conversation turned to my Year of Meat.  And she said something that rings so true.  "The thing about high quality meat...it's really hard to screw it up."  And when it comes to Paulina, a truer statement has never been stated.  And never mind just "avoiding screwing it up", we nailed it.  I whipped up a rub of lemon zest, fresh rosemary, kosher salt and a touch of sugar.  Rubbed it on the night before.  Seared it on all sides in some canola oil, and roasted it in the oven at 300 degrees until the meat came to 125 degrees.  let it sit for 5 minutes, carved it up, and served with Mashed Sweet Potatoes.  Simple, easy, and ridiculously delicious.  As I have done now three other times already during this quest, Paulina + Michael Symon recipe = Happy Me!

Sorry for the delay in cooking more recipes (skiing in Vail) and for the short entry (heading out to dinner soon).  But there is much more to come.  47 more to be exact (still).

11 down.  47 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment