Sunday, June 15, 2014

Beef Tenderloin - Back to Basics

Cooking every cut of steak possible this year has made me rethink my past go-to selection.  Throughout this Year of Meat, I have had the good fortune of cooking Rib Eyes, Prime Rib Eyes, New York Strips and Porterhouse Steaks, among others.  Each one has had me all giddy about my ability to cook restaurant quality steaks (and better, if I may add) along with great sides, rubs, etc.  So, when the time came to cook what used to be my go-to cut, the Beef Tenderloin/Filet Mignon, I have to admit that I was sort of "ho hum" about it.  Now, let me explain that my go-to cut was the "special occasion" in the household before 2014 started.  When we wanted to eat-in and open our best bottle of wine, the Beef Tenderloin from Paulina was the meal.  And you know what, there was good reason for that approach.

So in I went to Paulina on late Saturday morning, and waited along with 30 or so of my "closest friends" for my number to be called.  The order was simple.  Two Filets, one about 8 oz and one about 12 oz.  Done and done.  I took them out of the refrigerator about an hour before cooking time, and used a steak rub given to us as a gift, a little gourmet style jar with a great scent.  On it went, on both sides, awaiting the Big Green Egg to come to temp.  Got the egg up to 500 degrees, and used a basting brush to brush some canola oil on the cast iron grill to prevent sticking.  Since Tenderloin is so lean, you don't benefit from any melting fat to keep the steak from sticking.  So the oil helps out in that regard.  About 4 minutes on the first side, about 6 minutes on the other side got us nice thick Medium Rare filets.  We served them with a watercress, radish and blue cheese salad we made earlier this year with another steak dinner, noted here.  Yum!

35 down 26 to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment