Sunday, September 7, 2014

Hanger Steak - And Then There Were Ten

While plotting out my strategy for what to do with Hanger Steak, I learned that it is perhaps the most popular cut for Steak Frites, an absolute favorite of mine (shocking, I know) in French restaurants.  It's "meat and potatoes", while still sounding a bit high brow by avoiding the English translation of Steak and Fries.  But there is a simplicity (and I've said that before) that just doesn't need complication.  Well, in my research, I decided that Steak Frites would be "too easy", so I opted for a Hanger Steak dish that, while still easy, introduced a bit more complexity and a bit more flavor, Hanger Steak with Wilted Spinach and Gorgonzola Sauce.

Things started off simple enough.  Take a hanger steak, remove the center membrane (which essentially leaves you with two 10 oz steaks (perfect), and season them on both sides generously with Kosher Salt and Black Pepper.  I heated up a large cast iron skillet with olive oil, and cooked the steaks for roughly four minutes per side for medium rare.  I then let them rest under foil while preparing the rest.  I then added 10 oz (that looks like a LOT) of spinach to the pan and stirred it quickly in the juices and it wilted in no time.  It shrinks from looking like a lot of spinach down to two small servings of it.  Crazy.  I moved the spinach to two dinner plates, and added cream and Gorgonzola cheese to the skillet and stirred until the cheese was melted and the sauce was thickened.  Carved up the Hanger Steak, served it on top of the spinach, and ladled some Gorgonzola sauce on it.  And although not Frites, we did do the "and potaotes" part of the deal with some good ol' mashed ones. Yum.


Now, let's be clear.  It was delicious.  The spinach was good.  The sauce was tasty.  But I have a confession to make.  I tried the Hanger Steak before I put it on the spinach with the sauce.  Just the Kosher Salt and Black Pepper.  And I tell ya, it was amazing!  Made me just want to fry up some frites and say bon appetit.

51 down, 10 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment