Sunday, September 21, 2014

Sirloin Tip Roast - A Complete Original

How many ways can you make Meat and Potatoes?  A lot!  This year has tested the preparations, combinations and permutations.  But for the Sirloin Tip Roast, nothing was repeated.  A complete original!

For the last beef roast of the Year of Meat, I took on the Sirloin Tip Roast.  I made a simple rub/paste out of olive oil, thyme, oregano, hot paprika, granulated garlic, granulated onion, kosher salt, cracked pepper and cayenne pepper.  Big Green Egg fired up on indirect heat at 350 with some Oak for smoke.  And on it went.  About 90 minutes later (or thereabouts), the internal temperature got to between 135 - 140, the medium rare I like.

While it was cooking, I prepared a Yukon Gold potato recipe from Michael Symon's book, Carnivore.  I boiled them until tender, and drained and let them cool.  I flattened them a little bit and fried them in duck fat for about 4 minutes per side.  I then sprinkled in some lime zest, lime juice, chopped chives and sea salt.  Earlier, I had made a spicy dip for the potatoes made of mayonnaise, sriracha, hot paprika, ground chipotle, olive oil and garlic.

Meanwhile, my wife made a Spinach salad with dates, crispy shallots and a lime vinaigrette.

This meal rocked.  I would have preferred bacon fat or regular vegetable oil for cooking the potatoes, rather than the duck fat. But that was the ONLY thing I would change about this meal.  So good!

55 down, 6 to go!  (How crazy is that?  Only 6 more!)


No comments:

Post a Comment