Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Bone-In Rib Eye - Butcher's Cut

I have made a lot of steaks this year, both in volume and in variety.  So, a couple of weeks ago, when I was in Paulina Meat Market buying meat for that night's meal, two of the guys there asked me what was left for the Year of Meat.  At the time, I was down to 5 or so.  When I told them what cuts remained, and when I said "Bone-In Rib Eye", an immediate reaction came from Andy who proclaimed it his "go to steak".  An immediate "second" to the motion came from Tim.  These are two guys who know their meat.  And I trust them when it comes to this sort of thing.  So, I stored that in my memory bank, and away I went.

A couple nights later, I was at dinner with my wife and another couple at Erie Cafe in Chicago.  I had never had dinner there, and I heard such amazing things about their steaks.  I was excited.  Since I knew the Bone-In Rib Eye was on my personal horizon, I opted for the Bone-In New York Strip.  And across the board, it was delicious.  But then I tried a bite of the Bone-In Rib Eye, and I heard Andy and Tim's voice in my head, and I "got it".

This past Monday, it was my turn to the grill up the Bone-In Rib Eye.  Because I knew this cut had no lack of flavor, I kept it simple.  Kosher Salt and Cracked Pepper.  That was it.  On the grill it went.  About 5 minutes per side.  Off it came, and got tented in foil.  Served it up with a now favorite side of Watercress, Radish and Blue Cheese salad with a new rendition of Polenta (say "Cheese" as in Cheddar).  Pair that meal next to a bottle of Amapola Creek Zinfandel, and you are talking about a high quality Monday evening meal.  Now, again.  I have made a lot of steaks this year.  But this is one I will make again soon after the 61st cut is cooked.

59 down, 2 to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment