Saturday, July 12, 2014

Bottom Round - Saturday Roast Beef Sandwiches

I used to eat my roast beef sandwiches the same way, every time I ordered one.  Roast Beef Sub with mayonnaise and pickles.  Occasionally I'd add cheese (provolone).  And on rare (no pun intended) occasions, I'd ask for an additional vegetable, like lettuce or tomato.  But the standard order was always mayonnaise and pickles.  But part of the reason what that I didn't order subs that often.  Not sure why, but I'd often have cold cuts at home, and I'd make more modest and dare I say more (perceived) healthy versions.  Turkey on whole wheat with mustard, for example.

But then, the Year of Meat commenced.  And on an occasion not long ago, I turned an Eye of Round Roast into Pit Beef Sandwiches.  So what happens when you have Beef Sandwiches for several days in a row?  Variety strikes!    With the Pit Beef Sandwiches, I tried them with Barbecue Sauce, with Horseradish Sauce and both were delicious.  Well, today, a different cut of beef (Paulina Market's Bottom Round Roast) was the order of the day.  I prepared it similarly, using a Southwestern themed rub all over it, and cooked it over indirect heat in the Big Green Egg at 375 degrees, with some Oak for smoke, until the center got to 125.  I tented it under foil for about 30 minutes, and carved it up for sandwiches.

Now, one of the things any Beef Sandwich eating man who lives in Chicago enjoys is giardinera.  Having grown up in Boston, I had never heard of it until moving to the Windy City.  What is it?  Vegetables like hot peppers, carrots, celery and the like are marinated in a spice-infused olive oil.  It goes great on "Italian Beef" sandwiches, and any other sandwich that calls for some extra kick and flavor.  So, Bottom Round is not by nature the most flavorful.  So, I smothered this thing in the rub, and upon carving it up, knew that the "rub-heavy" slices of beef would be flavorful.  However, not every slice was rub-heavy, so I decided to jazz up my first sandwich.  I went with a Kaiser Roll, with hot giardinera and dijon mustard.  Yep, each addition to the beef increased the spice-level just a little bit more.  And I have nothing but positive thoughts looking forward to my next sandwich (which will be for dinner in about 2 more hours).  Right now, I'm leaning toward mayonnaise and nothing else.  Can't wait!

43 down, 18 to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment