Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Center Cut Pork Chops - Peachy Keen

There are certain meats that you grill, certain ones you braise and others you roast.  There are so many ways to vary temperature, duration, exposure to heat, etc., that cooking meat is like a large decision tree.  What cut?  What flavors?  What appliance?  What temperature?  Etc.  For the most part, this year, I have followed "common sense" for each cut.  But not with the Center Cut Pork Chops.  Personally, I would think pan searing or grilling.  Cut 8 hours in a slow cooker?  Fall off the bone, shredded pork chops?  Yep, and I'm here to tell you I will do it again.  And again.  And again.

In terms of recipe, this wasn't that complicated.  I seasoned both sides of the chops with salt and pepper and seared them on both sides in some olive oil until golden brown.  After removing the chops to a plate for resting, I then sauteed some chopped Canadian bacon with onions for about 6 minutes (until browning), added in some garlic, a little bit of pale ale, chicken broth, salt, pepper and cider vinegar.  I transported that mixture to a slow cooker, put the chops on top and set it on Low for 8 hours.  And that, was that.

By the time I opened the lid after work, the smells throughout the house were euphoric.  My wife and put together a vinaigrette that went perfectly over an arugula and peach salad.  And that went perfectly with the chops.  The chops, as I mentioned in the beginning, we literally falling off the bone.  Now, sometimes you refer to baby back ribs that way, or short ribs or even chicken wings.  But pork chops?  Lean, white meat pork chops?  Yes.  Pork Chops.  Shredding like brisket, and moist throughout.  These things, combined with the peach salad, were a thing to remember!  And for me, tonight, I have leftovers, so I don't have to be nostalgic for too long!

40 down, 21 to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment