Saturday, July 26, 2014

Sirloin Steak - Grilled Summer Simplicity

When I was young and my mother would have steak, when I asked what we were having the answer inevitably was a simple one, "steak".  I didn't hear things like filet mignon, bone-in rib eye or New York strip.  I heard "steak".  Maybe, on occasion, we'd go out to eat somewhere (i.e. York Steak House for those in the West Roxbury, MA area in the late 70's/early 80s's) and they may have used the word "sirloin".

So, let's be honest about a Sirloin Steak.  It's big.  It's cheap in comparison to the aforementioned cuts.  And it lacks flavor when over-cooked.  And yeah, no offense to my mom or those folks at York Steakhouse, "medium well" and "well done" were the only temps I saw until my adult life.  So, when I went to Paulina Market yesterday to pick up a Sirloin Steak, I made it a point to get the ideal "pull from the grill temp" to reach my "medium rare" goals.  Instructions were simple.  Throw a lot of rub on it, cook it about 6 minutes per side on a high heat Big Green Egg, and pull it at a 125 internal temp.  Instructions were perfect.  And it turned out a perfect medium rare.  I used a bold steak rub, a Christmas gift from a friend who knows my love of meat, and served the steak with some table side sauce options, including Maple Chipotle, Sweet BBQ and Worcestershire.  Served it with some steamed asparagus and an ear of Iowa Sweet Corn courtesy of my mother-in-law's care package of Iowa Sweet Corn.  I ask you this, what says "Summer" better than Sirloin Steak and Sweet Corn?

The result was delicious summer satisfaction, and another notch in the Year of Meat belt.

45 down, 16 to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment